“You were put on this earth to achieve your greatest self, to live out your purpose, and to do it courageously.”
Confession: There are some people I avoid simply because they talk endlessly and never say anything. It frustrates me when the words are flowing but the conversation isn't getting anywhere. The truth is that we all adopted the fast speed of the rapidly changing information flow. We all want to get to the point in the most efficient way.
Another confession: I once worked with a woman who always had another question and took a ridiculously long time to phrase it. I remember myself and other colleagues literally cringing when this woman cleared her throat to begin speaking.
For you to be effective in your career you have to remember this:
Only 5 % of your success is your education. 15% is your experience.
80% are your communication skills.
How do you know if you're too long-winded in your discussions? Here are some early indicators:
- People can't sustain eye contact with you while you're talking
- People immediately reject or interrupt your presentations and ideas
- People check their phones or browse the Internet while you are talking
Keep mindful of the situation. Are people really rude or do you need to find the point where you can curb yourself?
The next time you walk into your boss’ office, preparing for a business meeting, or pitching to a prospective client try this:
1. Set ONE objective for the meeting.
2. Decide in advance on 3 points maximum that you want to make.
3. Pay attention to what you say. Everything should focus on achieving your one objective and consist of no more than those 3 talking points.
4. Stay focused and alert, correct your speech as you notice people's vibes and reactions.
5. Remember to smile and lighten up when talking. You can succeed at almost anything for which you have unbridled enthusiasm.
Your smile is your logo. Your personality is your business card. Now how you leave others feeling after having an experience with you becomes your trademark!
Make it a memorable one!